Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Getting My Feet Wet

I learned about Poker in Manila a few months ago when the first Philippine Poker Tour was conducted. At that time a friend of mine knew someone selling a seat for P18K and I was sorely tempted to buy it and take my shot at fame (as well as a million pesos)

Then it came to my attention that satellites were running for as cheap as P1,500 with winners getting cash and a seat to the main event. Gave it a try, lost my first 2 tournaments, and struck gold on the third attempt.

Sadly, I placed 12th on the main event with 170+ players, 2 places shy of the money. When there were only 15 players left, I was second in chips. 2 bad hands and a bad decision later and I was out at 12th.

I was devastated. I felt like quitting poker even before I truly learned how to play the game. I went to my girlfriend and pored my frustrations all night. She was very understanding, and told me that it was just one game. If I wanted to be one of the best, then I should see this as one single bad hand in the course of a lifetime poker match. She was very supportive and that's just one of the many reasons why I love her.

I read books, formulated my own strategies and started entering in the other minor tournaments as well as the cash games at the ACF. I had a very good run and won around P40,000. But then I lost my concentration and confused ring game tactics vs tournament which led me to lose about 70% of my profits. Went back to the basics and focused on tournaments, winning a few SnGs to get back up to +P35,000.

Now comes a new chapter in my poker life. I have been assigned to the US for a 3 month job assignment and now have easy access to online poker. After playing single table matches, the speed of play as well as the ability to multi table with online poker seems daunting but at the same time very rewarding. Playing well essentially doubles or triples potential winnings and I was eager to take a crack at it.

Hence, today is the first day of that journey. This is where I will document all of my experiences, tips and tricks I have picked up as well as strategies that worked for me. I hope you guys will have a good time browsing through my ramblings.

First update - I was able to activate everything I needed at 5 am today and got in my first $300 ($200 deposit and $100 bonus from Pacific) Played a few very low limit tables (before heading off to work) to get a feel for things and won roughly $6. Hehehe you gotta start somewhere.....

6 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

Good luck, bro...try to play some live games too. Tho I don't know if there are card rooms where you are. Linked to your blog from mine..

6:20 PM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

Thanks Nickg. Havent been around much and I think the only live games here would be home games (and I know a total of 5 people in the whole city) Am in Charlotte and so far online poker is the best thing to keep me sane.

Will be itching to try Click2Pay when I get home.

5:28 AM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

GL bro, may the edge be with you, keep playing and keep updating!

9:08 AM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

CHARLOTTE?! I heard from a friend that the life there is sloooowww...

9:10 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

LOL you got that right MnlGrnd. But that's exactly why I can afford to put in 40 hours of poker on top of my day job!

Woot and they told me just now that I can work from home on Fridays. I wonder how hard it'd be to multiple table while working on designs specs....

1:16 PM  
Blogger nickg said...

Charlotte...you'll be coming home with a southern drawl...

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home