Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Rising From The Ashes

Last Saturday started out pretty bad. I had lost my $200 deposit at Pacific and was tilting and decided to put in another $400 at Full Tilt. I was feeling good and was up by around $20 when I started playing horrible poker...

At the end of the day I was down another $200. I shut off my PC and started thinking. I needed to find a system that allowed me to minimize my risks since I already lost 65% of my bankroll in 2 days. I also needed to plug the leaks in my game.

I buckled down and pulled up a pad. I wrote the following things down

1. Detach yourself from the money.
2. Minimize our risk
3. Know when to fold
4. Know how much to bet
5. Respect position

From this list I was able to set out a gameplan. First, I translated my last $200 into units. 20 units of $10 each and my goal was to start earning units (and not cash) I also decided to play single table ring games and to play them like SnGs. Basically, I will steal the blinds when the opportunity dictates and I will protect a big stack if I get it. I also started to realize when to fold AA and KK based on betting strength.

Finally - I set a goal. I wanted my 20 units back ($200) So early on Sunday, I sat and concentrated with the list I created last night. I played 2-unit sessions and stood up anytime I doubled my stack. I lost some sessions through bad beats but continued playing good poker. On some difficult tables I would leave if I had won 1 unit. At the end of the day....

I won a total of 21 units, and overall was up by 1 unit! I was excited... it seems I have a winning strategy and had been able to plug the leaks in my game.

I only have a couple of hours to play on the weekdays but I was pleased to grind out 2-3 units per day consistently. Currently on my third day and am running at +12 units from a -20 units of Saturday. A new goal I have set is to hit +140 units since with a projected $200 rakeback for this month and the $400 bonus from FTP I can profit $2000 from this site. After this is done I can either move to another site to maximize bonuses or increases my table limits. Overall I think the stuff I wrote above applies to any limit and should be a good baseline for proper bankroll management.

And that was the most damaging leak I had. I didn't know how to manage my bankroll. I was afraid of losing more so I made wrong decisions. I was playing loose when I won big pots and ended up losing more then I won. And it's only fitting that the first lesson I learn is the most important point in playing poker. Learn to manage your bankroll... only then can you allow your skill to take you where you dream of going.

2 Comments:

Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

bankroll. LOL! goodjob! keep it up, might move my ass to fulltilt as well...

"I also started to realize when to fold AA and KK based on betting strength."

I'm hoping you did this during a RING GAME and not during a SnG... :\

3:07 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

Yeap I only play ring games now. And of course I fold AA and KK after the flop. No way am I going to fold those pre-flop.

Yeah I suggest a move to FullTilt as well. Pacific has tight ring games and they only have 10 handed tables. I seem to excel at 6 handed max.

Finally, the bonus and point system at FTP is a LOT better then pacific (loyalty points means wager $1,000 to get $1? Please!) Along with a rakeback deal at FTP. You can also get cool stuff for your FTP points (Although you have to be in the US to get them) AM shooting for the FTP shades and Harrington's books. Will take only 8,000 hands which is what I need to clear the bonus anyway

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home