Monday, July 31, 2006

Tilt

I came face to face with that word last Sunday and it wasn't a good thing. I had logged my 8th straight winning day and was up 18 units total. I woke up Sunday ready to break the 20 unit mark when things started badly.

I open up 2 tables and play tight as usual early on and I pick up Ad Kd on one table and KdKc on the other!

Table 1: Hero - AdKd, I raise pre-flop and get 2 callers. The flop was 7d 5d Qs. One of the reasons why AK is my favorite hand (even more then AA) is because it's so easy to fold! Here I had the nut flush draw so I bet a feeler bet and got one guy to fold and the other one to call. The turn comes 10d completing my flush so I bet the pot and got a reraise! I look at the board and unless the board pairs for a full house then I was sure I had the best hand so I raised all-in. Opponent calls and shows 4d 3d for a flush but I had the nut flush!

The river comes 6d giving him a straight flush over my Ace high flush.

Table 2: Hero - KdKs, I was able to get it all-in after the flop and my opponent shows a bluff 3c 3d. The final card was a Jack of clubs! The bad thing was there were 3 other clubs on the board giving him a flush over my cowboys.

So I lose 4 units for a double knockout and my seat wasn't even warm yet. I was extremely frustrated and opened up 3 tables to try and make up my losses. I ran bad in 2 of them and was marginally up in 1. In the end, I made some very bad calls and lost all 3 sessions for a whopping 10 unit loss.

I came into my senses and realized I was in the grip of major tilt. And tilt comes a lot stronger when you are playing online since your next game is just a click away! I had to mentally stop myself from commiting anymore bad decisions and shut down my PC.

I didn't play anymore poker that day. I sat down and watched the Waterboy on cable and called up my girlfriend at home. Went to the grocery, finished my laundry and played some Diablo 2. I think doing so probably saved my bankroll.

Tomorrow is another day and I still remember when I ran -20 units and made +21 units the next day after. Stop thinking of the past and concentrate on the present. The only way to build your bankroll is to focus making one unit at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home