Monday, February 25, 2008

Bankroll Management

Thank you Chris Ferguson.

I was running very very badly these past few days. One hand almost sent me to the brink of quitting.

I had 5-6 and raises on the button. BB calls me and flop comes 3-4-7 rainbow. BB bets the pot, I think for awhile and min-raises. Loose BB reraises all-in and I instacall. The pot was at a whopping $135. BB shows A-7.

Turn 7

River 7

Are you kidding me?!?!?! I was really hurting and I closed all tables after that hand. Then I went to check some emails and read again through Chris Ferguson's article on bankroll management and how he turned $0 to $10,000. I decided to give his advice and moved down.

It was amazing how much my confidence shot up again at a lower level. I was beating the game again and finally posted a winning session of $30. Every little bit helps. I decided after a few more sessions I had the mental discipline to try the higher level again.

This hand probably cemented my confidence. I had Q-Q and raised in the cutoff. Got 2 callers. Flop comes Q-10-2 rainbow and SB bets the pot (about $10) and mid player calls. I think about reraising here but just call with my monster. Turn was an Ace and SB pushes all-in for $30. Mid player reraises to $60 and I made the call. I say to myself "just please do not have K-J"

SB turns over A-Q and Mid player turns over K-J.

River - the most beautiful 2 I had ever seen in poker. The full house gave me a massive pot of abour $140 and I was feeling it! Then came a hot streak that made a volcano seem like a slight cold.

I held AA about 9 times and 7 of them got paid off. I finished the session winning around $340. It's not much by normal poker standards but you have to understand I started this roll with $20 in my account. It's a pet project which is now back up to a healthy $780.

Bankroll Management - an underrated and misunderstood concept in playing successful poker. Taking that refresher course on this subject seemed to have saved my ass once again.

1 Comments:

Blogger PepeSmith said...

I follow Ferguson's advice to the letter. My only gripe is that you have to leave when you have 10%. Anyway, went down on blinds too but haven't had the winning streak that you got.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home