Wednesday, August 02, 2006

4th in a $10K Guaranteed Tournament

The other day paved the way for a new phase in my online poker game, Multi Table Tournaments. I joined a $1 entry fee tourney for fun and placed 16th over 999 players. It was the biggest tournament I have ever joined (Tourneys back home have never broken the 200 mark) and I was interested in trying it again.

I have been playing over at Full Tilt Poker full time but I had a few dollars left at my Pacific account. $21.25 dollars in fact and I saw a 10K Guaranteed MTT for $18+2. I had enough for one shot and since I was retiring the Pacific account anyway I went ahead and played it.

The prize payout was:

1st - $2,500
2nd - $1500
3rd - $900
4th - $700
5th - $500
6th - $300
7th - $250
8th - $200
9th - $150
10th - $100
Top 60 players got paid

There was a huge turnout of almost 600 players in the field. I started out well and was able to build my stack in the early and middle games. About 2 hours into the tournament I was in the top 10% of chips.

When the next break came, I looked at the remaining players and there were only 37 players left! And I held the chip lead! Once again patience and timing is key and I had gotten my chips from 2 AA, KK and a AQs starting hand.

I won't go into too much strategy and detail (I'll do that on another post) but I finally final tabled the tournament being 3rd in chips. It was an easy wait as there were 5 short stacked people on the table and we were down to 5. I had to gamble with the 5th person (he had about 40% of my stack and was able to take him out!) but the 4th short stack proved to be difficult to remove. He was able to steal the blinds successfully twice and survived 2 all-ins (one against me) in order to replace me at the short stack!

My final hand was KdJd and I raised 5X BB. The idiot chip leader (That guy was unbelievable lucky hitting 2 outers all tournament) raised me all-in! I had to call and put my tournament life on the line and he shows me As4c. What garbage!! of course the flop missed me completely... and the turn.. and the river. I can't believe I lost to an Ace high....

It was unclimactic but I will take the $700 and sleep happy. The tournament lasted 6 hours (it ended at an ungodly 3 am and I had work the other day) but in one fell swoop I had doubled my bankroll.

A few dozen more tournaments like these and I should have the experience to take the ACF5K by storm when I come back in October. Cya guys then!

2 Comments:

Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

Whoa, awesome win! I better hit the tables haha

11:09 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

I can't believe it. I played another $8 tourney with 200+ players and I final tabled again! I finished at 5th for another $200 win lol! (top pays $600)

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home