Monday, August 21, 2006

Opening Up My Game Further

So far I think i have been regarded as an MTT player (MTT jock as Nickg said lol). And though I have gained most of my wins from MTT I am finding it hard to make it ITM these past few days. I don't really think there's a leak in my game but the beats come and when they do they can cripple my my shot at winning the tournament. Been hitting the $75s lately and not been profiting that much from them. I am also looking for a stabler source of poker games since when I come back to Manila I won't be able to play most MTTs any longer.

Hence I tried my hand at higher stakes ring. Bought in for $50 (my usual was $20 before lol) and played the .5/$1. It wasn't to my tastes and I lost that roll in a few minutes. It was something about the blinds not increasing hehehe.

So I decided to try my hand at the baby brother of MTTs. Interestingly enough I had tried SnGs before and posted a terrible 0/6 ITM on the $11s but was a bit more successful at the $22s posting 4/6 ITMs. My thinking here is that the more sophisticated moves WORK at the higher levels and people go all-in more frequently at the lower levels. Whatever the case it seems my niche was the $22s.

I came home late for my regular $75 tournament and decided to just play some $22s SnGs. I lost my first one when my KK went against AA with 5 players to go.

But on my next 3 SnGs I proceeded to place first on the next 2 and a third place finish on the third one! I decided to play 2 more while chugging my beer and placed second and third! Wow 5/6 ITM which netted me $194 profit for today! Not bad considering I've been losing an average of $70 per day by not getting ITM of an MTT.

I am quitting while am ahead (4 beers and counting so I do not think am at optimal level anyway) but its interesting. I might go SnGs for now and just hit the MTTs once in awhile.

The wins aren't as big and exciting as the MTTs but there is a semblance of consistensy at least. I am really starting to hate variance......

6 Comments:

Blogger 11Finger said...

Though NickG tagged me also as an MTT Jockey (sounds sexy) I'm really an SNG grinder (though haven't done much lately). And that's the problem with SNG's, it's a GRIND. You have to play loads and loads of them to make money and even out the variance. It's not like an MTT where one huge win could be enough to last you a couple of months or even a year. To address that I play MTT's occassionaly (though lately have been playing them too much) in the hopes that I may get lucky and hit a huge one. Live games I prefer rings, but online I try to stay away from them for now - just too much of a roller coaster ride, one minute your up huge the next someone decimates your stack with a suckout...

9:26 PM  
Blogger 11Finger said...

correction: "you're up huge..." I know there's plenty of OC's here baka masita hehe

9:30 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

poker mantra:

"If there was no variance, there would be no fish."

repeat 3x.

10:56 PM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

There are no more $530s on FTP bro. Just the regular 200K for $216 I think. The $530 was an FTOP event.

Ok to the grinders on SnG... what's better the turbos or the regular ones? I played both and did well so am thinking of specializing.

Regular - Nice starting stacks and blind increases but it takes close to an hour!

Turbos - Very fast blinds levels but at the same time the aggressor wins. Great opportunity for blinds steals and a 10% better entry fee ($22+2 vs 20+2 on regular)

Thoughts?

6:10 AM  
Blogger 11Finger said...

Frog, I'd go with the regular SNG's. Less variance I would think. You'd be able to play more games with turbo's but with less consistency. I used to play SNG's at the PokerRoom network and was doing OK but when they changed their blind structure to a faster one my ROI and ITM% dropped...

8:44 AM  
Blogger 11Finger said...

Erick, good point I guess what you play should also be a function of how you play... Si Erick kasi taught Gus Hansen that it's ok to play any two cards :)

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home