Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My 2nd Big Win!!

I now believe the saying that all it takes is a chip and a chair.

Ok so I had few more chips then one but it felt pretty much the same way. I joined a $75 tournament at FTP and really decided to focus on only ONE MTT. I felt my leak was trying to play too many tournaments at the same time. I wasn't able to pay attention to the table and betting patterns which is a huge factor.

I started tight and went fishing with a Q-10s in late position. Flop comes A-K-J! Cant get better then that. I bet half the pot and got a raise so I min raised back. The guy pushed me all-in!! When you have the absolute best hand rule no 2 will always override rule no 1 so I called. he showed A-9 (absolute donk)!!! However.... the turn comes jack and the river comes up with an ace. I seriously almost threw my laptop out the window.

3,000 starting stack and I was down to 285. I gritted my teeth against just going in on my 8-4 the next hand and waited for a good hand since I was at the cutoff. A few hands in I get 78s. Perfect, a hand that wasnt easily dominated and could get lucky. There were several limpers and I pushed getting 2 callers. Flop comes 7-8-K-X-X and I quadruple up. The very next hand I get A-8s and push all-in to be called by AK! Like a champ I pull the 8 on the turn hehe.

Am back in the game! Usual strategy again and I hit it big flopping a trips and a nut flush. After the second break we were close to being ITM and I had a good stack. I went hyper aggressive on the bubble and went for a lot of blind steals. 21-27th paid $98 while first pays $4250. I wanted to win.

2 more before the bubble I get 9-9s in late position. An early position raiser raised 4X BB and I felt it was a steal of AJ at best. I raised all-in for the resteal. Then the SB raised all-in and the BB as well! The SB showed JJ and the BB showed AA!!! Worse of all the BB had me covered!

Flop Q-4-5.... I was up and slamming my head on a wall. Turn was 7 and I think blood stains were starting to show.... river I catch the 9!! Holy smokes no skill there people but I'll take it like any lucky donk!!!

I triple up and went ITM as the chip leader hehehe. Cruised my way to the final table and was eliminated at 4th when I held AQ and an ace flopped. Weak bet and I pushed... guy had AK and my luck ran out.

Overall a very good haul! 4th paid out almost $2,000 and I have finally weathered the storm of 9 out of the money performances and close to 15 tourneys without a final table.

Now I feel comfortable playing again. I am up roughly $7,000 now in less then a month. Luck played a great factor in this tournament but then I remember one pro saying.... You gotta position yourself to BE lucky. Amen to that.

6 Comments:

Blogger suitedpairs said...

nice going dude! congrats! good luck in the future and hope you finish all your tourneys like that

9:24 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

wow bro, you must have done something good in your past life!

nice score bro!

Hey, 9 out of the money performances and it will eventually catch up. MTTs usually get a 1 out of 10 ratio if youre a good player, so i guess it's pretty normal.

11:45 PM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

"2 more before the bubble I get 9-9s in late position. An early position raiser raised 4X BB and I felt it was a steal of AJ at best. I raised all-in for the resteal. Then the SB raised all-in and the BB as well! The SB showed JJ and the BB showed AA!!! Worse of all the BB had me covered!"

I'm no math or stat major but the chances of this happening is like 765892475802730572 to 1

hahaha lol

awesome win!

3:27 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

Thanks guys! I hope I can keep it going. The tournaments are long and the bigger it is the tougher the competition. The 250K guaranteed was a monster but pays out $85K! I think I'd resign and play online for a living if I win that. Now I am thinking of playing the $500+50 main event on the weekend. Ouch that hurts.

@Erick - Then again, maybe I am lucky with 9s!! That flop might have gone 10-9-X-X-9! Hehehehe

8:12 AM  
Blogger nickg said...

nice!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

Fish, his chances are actually 16% pre-flop against those monsters, which just proves that the edges in PHold'em arent really that big ;)

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home