Sunday, August 13, 2006

Very Tough Tournaments

Well the day was another tiring and uneventful one for me. I played the $250K guaranteed at FTP and the 50K Guaranteed at Pacific. Lets go to the bad news first...

The $250k was a tournament of epic proportions!! 2000 players!! The tournament was maxed out 2 hours before the tournament began. Additionally, about 8 pros were playing the tournament including Ben Roberts, Juanda, and Lederer. I was playing this tournament along with the pacific one which I was already in deep and just played ultra tight all the way.

Oh and Ben Roberts was at my table. I played ultra tight and was able to get some chips from a QQ and AK. Other then that things were pretty much the same (fold 50+ times). Finally I got QQ and raised... then Ben Roberts reraised me and since I had him covered I went ahead and pushed back. Of course he had the AA (Come to think of it I don't know if I could have folded queens this late in the tournament) The AA held and I was massively crippled.

I played tight again (at this time I suffered a huge bad beat at pacific, more on this below) when i pushed with A-9. Ben again had JJ and it held elimintating me at 880th our of 2000 players.

Entry Fee - $216
Profit - $0

The Pacific Tournament had another great showing with more then 900 players coming to play. I was able to do the usual tournament strategies and was able to hit a few flops. On one I just called a raise with 10s and the flop came 10-A-K with 2 clubs. Two guys in and one bet the pot while the other called. I raised all-in and got both of them to call. One guy had a club draw and the other had AK. The turn was a blank. The river was a CLUB!!! However, it was the 10 of clubs giving me quad 10s lol.

Top 90 got paid (with a top prize of $12K!!!) and I was in deep. there were only 35 players left and I had an average stack. I see 8s and with late position I raised to 9,000 (My stack was around 40,000) The chip leader raised me all-in!! It smelled like a resteal so I went ahead and called. Winner mentality, I want to win.

He raised me with 10-4. Crazy bastard. But wouldnt you know it the first card on the flop is the bloody 10! (Hmph I thought the 10s were working for me!) I never caught my 2 outer and was out at 33rd place out of 910. This was really painful as I was eliminated by trash hands which i had completely dominated. Sometimes.... it just sucks that luck is a part of poker. But then again, I don't want to take up chess anytime soon.

Entry Fee - $70
Profit - $310

Total Profit - $24!!! Wow lemme go paint the town red.....

Well I guess these kind of days will pass. At least I was able to finally break my ITM drought and that should get my confidence back up.

A shoutout to the "Filipino Delegation" that played the major tournaments today. Erick at the PokerStars $1M guaranteed and 11Finger at the $250K guaranteed at FTP.

It wont be long now before us Filipinos will be able to hold our own and be a force to reckon with at the WSOP. Cheers

3 Comments:

Blogger AReyes said...

Hey, have we played before? This is ariel. oneplayerperhand.blogspot.com

10:54 PM  
Blogger 11Finger said...

Gamefrog,

As they say don't be too results oriented, especially in a very long MTT. At the end of the day it's whether you made the right decisions that count. And if you did you should come out on top over the long run... Now if I can only figure out what the right decisions are lol...

1:03 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

@Ariel - am not sure bro. I'm really bad with names am sorry. Where do you play?

@11finger - very good point. One of my favorite line of thinking: Winning poker is not about making money or winning tournaments. It's not about having the most chips or being able to bluff a lot. It's about making the right decisions day in and day out.

6:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home