Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Experimentation to Prove a Theory

Mwahahahaha..... did I get the mad scientist laugh right?

No I am not losing my mind. However, I have been thinking about my top 3 pros of all time and been thinking of emulating their skills and combining them into one. They are:

Chris Ferguson - Mathematics and card trick skills. He knows exactly what the odds are and the perfect play according to mathematics. He has been in the academics world more then any person I know and he can slice a carrot with a card from 10 feet away. I know my pot odds and I have been finally able to HIT the damn the carrot after my 712th throw so I know I'm making progress.

Phil Gordon - Super Sleuth. I became a fan after reading his little green book. He makes you THINK and ponder about every single move that is made in a hand. Every move, every little clue leads to the final analysis that show you the solution to any problem. You should continuously ask yourself why your opponent did what he did and why are you doing what you plan to do.

Mike Caro - Master strategist and theorist. The mad genius of poker has broken the psychological aspects of the game allowing further skill to be harnessed beyond the realm of statistics. People are not robots and they are capable of doing things differently even within the exact same environments and situations.

So enough of my introduction. I would like to focus on Caro and Gordon (Once I slice the carrot I will spend a lot of time on Ferguson I promise) There are 2 things I will be doing with regards to my blog starting now.

First is that when I experience an interesting hand I will post what occurred but will leave out the final result until my next post. I hope that my readers can comment and we can work together to figure out what happened. Of course I know what happened and will tell you what I did and WHY I did it. I look forward to hearing other people's ideas on it so that we ALL can improve our game. This is the Phil Gordon skill we are looking to improve.

The other thing I wanted to mention was I am about to embark on an experiment to prove a theory. The theory is this: You do not need good cards to win. Yes we have all heard this statement but how do you prove it?

I am going to enter a few $26 tournaments and play the game blind. I will stick a post-it on my screen covering my hole cards and will play the tournament solely based on position, opponents betting strength and tournament level. I will use the power of blinds steals and power poker to gain chips and will avoid going to a showdown. If I come into a showdown and win then of course I have to take the chips but I am at a serious disadvantage not knowing if I actually hit anything. No I am not throwing money away as I see it as a worthwhile investment. Once you harness this skill then there is absolutely no reason for you to complain that "I never got any good cards!". The good cards now just become a bonus and poker comes down to a game where it becomes 90% skill and 10% luck.

The experiment will end IF I make it ITM. (Hey I can afford a $26 experiement but when I can potentially win hundreds am not throwing THAT away!) Wish me luck!

Stay tuned!

4 Comments:

Blogger nickg said...

I'll make a prop bet: P5K says frog doesn't get through 1 entire tourney without peeling the post-its ;) Any takers?

Let us know how you do k?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Maverick said...

great idea! It's actually been discussed in the poker forums and the pros have agreed that a person CAN win a MTT without looking at the cards.

haha yeah i bet you can resist.

9:41 PM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

try looking at just ONE card instead of two. hehe

1:00 AM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

LOL oh you are going to see a lot more errors then that bro. If you'll notice I write long ass entries. Seems like I got a lot on my mind and I never bother to check my grammar.

And as a mad scientist I only need to scribble illegible words and cackle insanely!!!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home