Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fluke??

Well I broke the $1,600 mark last Sunday and true to my word I had moved up to the $1/$2. The first session showed good signs as I was able to scratch out a $100 profit and was able to reach my 200 point quota in under an hour. The game isn't so different actually except that there are more raises being put in post flop. Overall I know I can hold my own at this level.

However, I just encountered an unpleasant event called variance.

This probably ranks as one of the worst sessions I have had in FTP.

KK in the BB and a raiser in MP. I reraise and he calls. The flop comes 2-K-7 and I check my set followed by a check. Turn is a Jack and I bet out hoping he hits it. MP flat calls and river comes 10. I bet out the pot and he raises me all-in. I stop to think and feels that he may have 2 pair, a smaller set, a bluff or A-Q. I call with my top set only to see the dreaded straight.

Fast forward pocket queens with low cards on the board. I check inducing a bet and I reraise. Guy pushes and I call. He shows A-7 suited and runner runner flush rewards him for a great call (dripping sarcasm)

For the Coup De Grace..... AK vs AK and he draws out a 4 flush.

I was able to slowly build my stacks though so damage was cushioned a bit but it still was pretty painful. I can confidently say that in every situation I had placed my money in with the best hand. In fact I had been able to trap my damn opponent drawing to 938,837 to 1 odds but they have pulled it out. I was able to minimize the damage to $190 but I can still feel the sting.

So is this a fluke or what? Given this streak of disastrous luck I will take it a sign from the powers that be and move down for the time being until I hit $1800.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home