Saturday, August 05, 2006

One Mistake Is All It Takes

I played an MTT 9 handed at Full Tilt Poker and started out pretty well. 320 players vying for 10K guaranteed cash money. I bring my A game and before I know it we're in the money.

I just read Phil Gordon's Green Book and that thing rocks. Helped my game a bit and I was able to survive pretty well. The final table was closing in and as Phil suggested, I play aggressive and make those tight players pay!

I look down and see pocket KKs. Since I UTG I called hoping for a raise. No such luck. The blinds complete their bets amd the flop comes Jc-9c-Ks. I hit my trips! I didn't even look at the boards and made my mistake. I checked.

I understand now why Phil is saying he almost never slowplays a hand. Don't be greedy and take the pot now. Turn comes 5d and I bet the MINIMUM BET. Both players call and I knew I was in trouble. Both of them had to be drawing to a flush. The river was a Qd and I breathe a sigh of relief... they missed their flush, I bet the pot and got raised all in.

WHAT?? Resteal?? Could a guy be calling with a gutshot straight draw?? This guys was the chip leader by far and had been very very aggressive calling all-ins with A-2. I figured he was pushing and I went over the top. He sent me to the rail with a K-10 giving him a straight to K high.

I bust one place off the final table and take my measly winnings (compared to the top prize) and licked my wound. Tomorrow (or 2 hours from now) is another day and another tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home