Saturday, August 18, 2007

Chip and a Chair

Ok ok so it took me TWO chips and a chair....

I had joined the Metro 2K+200 tournament and 32 players came despite the bad weather. The place was spectacular and I think I have found my new home.

It started out pretty well for me when I just went rock-mode for the entire first 2 levels and my "fishing" finally caught not one, but 2 big fishes. I had 44 with 9,000 chips in middle position when loose player raises to 900. I call and so does the BB. Flop comes KsQs4c and I am set to reel them in. Loose player bets 1500, I take my time and re-raises to 4500 and BB calls! To my utter disbelief loose player goes all-in for 12,000 and I instacall. BB thinks and thinks and folds KQ (2 pair). Great fold and loose player shows pocket aces. He didn't hit his 2 outer and I am really in the game!

With a pretty good stack I start systematically dismantling my opponents and it wasn't long when we finally made to the final table 9 handed. I had about 50K chips and was about 3rd in standing.

The very first hand of the final table UTG pushes all in for about 20K and I look down at A7s on the button. I figured that it was a steal and called his push. I was right and high carded him for the win. We were down to 8 players with only 5 to the money.

With the blinds now at 4k-8k stealing was a necessity. I look down at AQs on the button again and raise to 30k. Nickg pushes me all-in and I decide that if I wanted to win then this was the time to gamble. I call and he shows me AJo. I had him dominated but from the last 12 times getting outdrawn in FTP I just buried my head on the table and waited for the cards to be dealt. When I looked up, a jack had fallen on the flop and I was out.

Or so I thought. I looked back and saw two shiny 1 thousand chips still in my place and I took my seat. I had 2k with the blinds at 4k-8k and the average stack at a whopping 45 thousand! Even the 2nd shortest stack had more then 20K to their name. I felt I just wanted to get it over with.... I had half the freaking small blind for crying out loud.

I still had 3 free looks and I rejected the overwhelming urge to just throw my chips on the next hand. I got 10-3 then 8-5. UTG I got QJs and decided this was as good as it was going to get. No raises and a queen on the flop got me back to 6k! Still I was now the BB and I couldn't even complete the 8K. Nickg raises my blinds and gives me protection but turns over K-x and he has me high carded. The flop comes and I miss totally.... Nickg was cheering on the jack to keep me alive. (I appreciate the support bro!) Turn comes and no Queen or Jacks and and river lands an 8. But then I look back and see I just made a straight queen high!

I almost triple up and reraise the BB on the next hand and with his fold i got back up to 20k! With me on the button I was in position to just wait for the other short stacks to get blinded out! That round saw 2 other players bust out and we were on the bubble. Here I just pushed any hand with an Ace, King or Queen. In fact I didn't even look at the other card and when one other short stack called me I had him high carded again to bust the bubble!

Prize payout was as follows:

1st - 24,500
2nd - 15,000
3rd - 10,000
4th - 7,000
5th - 5,000

I was happy but realized that to complete my comeback story I wanted to win the damn thing. I picked my hands carefully and was able to bust a guy from Hong Kong when he shoved with just 1.5BB and I was the BB. 4 handed, I raise Nick's blinds again with K-10 and he shoves all-in. Went in the tank and decided I was pot committed and hoped my hand was live. He made the move with J-8s and I was glad he didn't have any more chips. If the raise was just a little bit higher I would have folded. I hit the King on the flop and we were down to 3 with me as the chip leader.

The 2 other guys duked it out and I was then heads up with equal stacks. I play head's up a little differently this time and it seemed to work for me. I always just called when I was the SB because I knew I had an advantage with the flop out. I didn't like coin flips at this stage and it cost me about 1/3 of my chips to gain some valuable information.... My opponent goes all-in on sub-optimal hands and raises 2 to 3 times when he had a monster.

It was easy enough to set up the trap and whenever I saw an Ace, King or Queen I was ready for the all-in move. First one he made I called with K-x and I high carded him for the win and a 3-1 chip advantage. His second all-in I had K-9 and high carded him again for the championship.

Long post I know but it was one of the best poker tournaments I have ever played. Every hand on the final table that I had played I came in with the best hand (except for the one with Nick where I made a gutshot straight) and that was the only thing I could hope for. I didn't get outdrawn and I was able to make my comeback.

Two chips and a chair. Well now I know anything is truly possible.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Laos ka na talaga, pero swerte pa rin! congrats - eric

12:25 PM  
Blogger GameFrog said...

Hahaha pare ndi ah!

Its the return of the comeback!!! LOL

2:03 AM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:18 AM  
Blogger ivegotdnuts said...

LIBRE KA DUDE!!! HAHAHA its your time to buy me tempura and noodles!!! HAHA :) great job mang, you're back! homecourt advantage for the win!!! haha

2:19 AM  
Blogger jonpokertour said...

nicely played!!!

congrats!

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home